Invest Your Tax Dollars: Developing Tolerance & Management Skills in the Future
Tax credit donations are so valuable to the students of our district. According to Dr. David Garcia, an assistant professor at Arizona State University, schools with more Latino students receive far less tax credit donations. In his article, he points out that “In 2013, schools that were at least 75 percent Latino received an average $12.65 per student in tax-credit donations, while schools with low Latino populations received an average $87 per student.”
Leaders of Phoenix
Seventh and eighth grade students at Whittier School in downtown Phoenix hope to discover “The Disney Way” and the management skills used to lead a cast of thousands. The students learn to overcome obstacles and engage in exercises designed to reinforce courage, curiosity and constancy and the confidence to set goals and accomplish their dreams at a Disneyland Leadership Workshop in May 2017.
While in Los Angeles, the students will also visit the Museum of Tolerance. The museum is a human rights laboratory and educational center dedicated to challenging visitors to understand the Holocaust in both historic and contemporary contexts and confront all forms of prejudice and discrimination in our world today.
The goal of this trip is for the seventh and eighth grade students at Whittier to embrace and better understand diversity in our society and to gain a glimpse into the creativity and communication and management skills of Walt Disney World to drive their personal growth.
Value to Students
Many of our inner city students never have the chance to leave their neighborhood. Exposing these students to The Disney Way and The Museum of Tolerance, as well as travel and staying in a hotel, are life-changing experiences that build dreams and goals for a bright future.
How to Donate
Please consider making a tax credit donation today! You can donate at Whittier’s front office or online HERE.
- On the right-hand side of the page click “donate online”
- Click the “tax credit donation” box
- Select the school you would like to donate to (Note: select the school with current tax year)
- Under Program select which program you would like to donate to. (Note: if you would like to donate to a specific club, select “other” and write the club name in the text box)
- Write in the amount you want to donate
- Repeat steps 3-5 if you would like to donate to multiple clubs or schools
- Click “Continue” and follow directions to enter personal information
Don’t understand AZ Tax Credits? Not a problem. We have a quick little video that explains the opportunity.
Whittier Elementary School
2000 North 16th Street
Phoenix AZ 85006